The Young House
The Young house features classic interior architecture from the early 1900s, including fireplaces, staircases, windows and original oak wood that the notable Young family fashioned.
John Young was a larger than life figure by far a lot of his life and family is written into the pages of history for South Texas. Young was a wealthy rancher and land owner who controlled many acres in the upper Rio Grande Valley. He had the house built in 1912, but reportedly died in 1913, one year after its completion. He was survived by wife Alberta Young and daughter Sarah Young Fernandez.
The house remained in the Young family until the 195Os, which is just one of the pioneer families that settled in present day downtown. All of the great families that founded South Texas lived in Brownsville.
Today, the Young house, which is now home to the office of the Brownsville Community Improvement Corporation, serves as reminder of the importance of preservation.
Address: 500 E St Charles St, Brownsville, TX 78520