Originally built in 1850, Market Square opened as an open air market in 1852. For the rest of the 19th century, many Brownsville residents bought their fresh foods from the many stalls found in the Square. Even after being damaged by a hurricane in 1867, Market Square continued to operate as a market on the first floor and city offices on the second. By the 1940s, the stalls had been closed in, and by the 1980s the city bus station opened.
In early 2009, Market Square was leased to the Brownsville Historicial Association. Thanks to the support of the Stillman Trust, Brownsville Community Improvement Corporation, and the City of Brownsville, Market Square became the home of BHA's collections and archives.
The vaults of Market Square house one of the largest South Texas photograph collections in the Rio Grande Valley. Additionally, the archives are home to numerous documents include the Frank Cushman Piece Papers and the A.A. Champion Collection.
The Event Hall and Plaza are available for rent. For more information, call 372-1515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours of Operation:
By Appointment Only
Address: 625 East 12th St., Brownsville, Texas 78520
Market Square is open to scholars, students and amature researchers by appointment. Contact us at email@example.com or call 541-5560.
In addition to the collections and archives, Market Square also houses the permenant exhibit, Into the Wild West, featuring the art of Frederic Remington and Charles Russell. This collection was donated by the late Ben Edelstein.
Address: 1150 Market Square St, Brownsville, TX 78520