Quantcast

Commissary and Guardhouse

Commissary and Guardhouse

The (Fort Brown) Commissary and Guardhouse was constructed in 1904, in part as a replacement for the original fort guardhouse.  Iron bars were placed in the windows to keep out thieves.  The main floor contained a guardroom and offices as well as a gun rack room and cell room. (From this location the officer of the day and the sergeant of the guard would coordinate the security of the fort.) The basement (unique at the fort) is noted for the extant holding cells of strap metal.  The cells were utilized for storage of art works during the period when the building housed the TSC Art Department.

In 1913 Constitutionalist revolutionaries under Gen. Lucio Blanco attacked Matamoros, compelling the federal “Huertista” forces to flee the city across the B & M Bridge over the Rio Grande to Brownsville.  Col. Augustus P. Blocksom, commanding officer at Fort Brown, marched the 130 Mexican soldiers to the fort, where they were interned for several weeks at this guardhouse to avoid incidents with American troops at the Fort.

El almacen military y bodega (enconomato) se construyó en 1904, para reemplazar la bodega orginal del fuerte.  Se colocaron barras de hiero en las ventanas para protegerla de ladrones.  El piso principal se componía de un cuarto de guardia y oficinas, así como un lugar para guarder armas y una celda.  El sótano (único en el fuerte) es notable por sus celdas de retención existentes de correas de metal. Las celdas se utilizaban para almanecenar trabajos de arte durante el tiempo en el que el edificio alojó al Departamento de Arte de Texas Southmost College.

En 1913, constitucionalistas revolucionarios bajo el mando del General Lucio Blanco, atacaron Matamoros, obligando a las fuerzas Federales “Huertistas” a huir de la ciudad cruzando el puente B & M sobre el Rio Grande a Brownsville.  El Coronel Augustus P. Blocksom, oficial que comandaba el fuerte Brown, condujo a los 130 soldados mexicanos al fuerte, donde fueron internados en el cuarto de guardia para evitar incidents con las tropas americanas en el fuerte.

Scroll to Top