Quantcast

Fort Brown Post Hospital

Fort Brown Post Hospital

The most prominent building of the post-Civil War reconstruction of Fort Brown was the Post Hospital.  It was built in 1868 (completed in 1871) under the supervision of Captain William A. Wainwright, but the architectural features are generally credited to Samuel W. Brooks, the foremost architect, builder, and engineer of Brownsville in that era.  (The structure came to be regarded as “the most beautiful hospital in the entire army.”)

Construction of the 16,500 square feet hospital involved 1300 laborers and utilized more than one million bricks, (acquired on both sides of the Rio Grande.)  To accommodate the semi-tropical environment several features such as external arcades and arched breezeways were added.

When Fort Brown closed (at the end of World War II) and the site became the new campus for Texas Southmost College, the hospital was repurposed and named in honor of Dr. William Gorgas, who conducted research on yellow fever here (in the 1880’s.)  In recent decades it has provided administrative services for the college.

La estructura mas prominente de la reconstrucción del Fuerte Brown después de la Guerra Civil fue el hospital militar del fuerte.  Se construyó en 1868 (terminada en 1871) bajo la supervisión del Capitan William A. Wainwright, pero el crédito por las características arquitectónicas se le otorgan a Samuel W. Brooks, el principal architecto, constructor e ingeniero de Brownsville de esa epoca.  (El hospital fue considerado como “el hospital más hermoso de todo el ejército.”)

La construcción del hospital de 16,500 pies quadrados involucró 1,300 obreros y se utilizó más de un millión de ladrillos (adquiridos en ambos lados del Rio Grande.)  Tomando en cuenta el clima subtropical se utilizaron varios detalles architectónicos  como arcos para la brisa y arcadas externas.

Cuando se cerró el Fuerte Brown (al fin de la Segunda Guerra Mundial) el sitio se convirtió en el nuevo campus del Colegio Texas Southmost College.  El hospital se cambió de propósito y el edificio fue nombrado  en honor del doctor William Gorgas quien condujó investigaciones sobre la fiebre amarilla allí (en los 1880’s).

Scroll to Top